Surf Official Level 1 Course
The Level 1 Surf Official Award is an entry level award given to candidates that have demonstrated competency in a range of surf official support roles and who have demonstrated basic knowledge of the rules relating to sport events. This award enables parents, caregivers and other to get involved in support of athletes of all ages. The course aims to provide the fundamental knowledge and skills necessary to officiate at club and regional levels.
The Level 1 Surf Official Award is the first step on the SLSNZ Surf Official Development Pathway.
Pre-requisites: Current member of a SLS club | 16 years of age
Training Type: Option 1. One day course (5 hrs + breaks) followed by 2 days practical experience as an assistant official. Option 2. Self directed online learning (2-3 hrs) followed by a 2hr practical session and 2 days practical experience as an assistant official.
Online Pre-learning: The self-directed online learning must be completed prior to attending the 2hr practical session. This online course consist of 3 modules:
- Part 1: The Surf Official Handbook
- Part 2: Surf Sports Competition Manual
- Part 3: Pool Competition Manual (optional module)
This can be accessed via the member portal here: https://webportal.surflifesaving.org.nz/ and you can log in by following these steps: watch here. Once logged in you can self-enrol by hovering on “Search Learning”, clicking on “Surf Life Saving NZ Catalogue”, clicking on the Surf Officials Course and selecting “Enrol”.
Course Facilitator: Option 1. One day course - delivered by trained and approved SLSNZ facilitator/s. Option 2. Access to online and regional support by trained and experienced officials.
Who should attend: Any SLSNZ club members interested in getting started in surf officiating including competitors, or previous competitors, parents, supporters or existing volunteer 'officials' with no formal training/award.
Participant requirements: Completion of either a one day Level 1 Surf Official course or completion of the online learning workbook and 2 hr. practical session, plus completion of two days practical experience.
- Introduction to officiating
- Surf Officials Roles
- Communication with athletes
- Assessment and Accreditation
- Surf Sport rules and regulations
- Principles of Risk Management & Health and Safety
At the completion of this award officials will be able to:
- Observe, Record, Report
- Identify the athlete centred approach to officiating
- Identify and demonstrate selected roles of surf officials
- Demonstrate knowledge of effective communication
- Identify risk management processes and values relevant to surf officials
- Demonstrate knowledge of the rules of surf life saving sports
To register for the online learning option or for a one day course, please contact email@example.com