Paid Lifeguard Service
During the peak summer season Surf Life Saving in the Northern Region employs lifeguards to patrol 22 locations Monday to Friday, with some locations 7 days a week. This is known as the Paid Lifeguard Service and it is designed to augment volunteer patrols by providing coverage throughout the week and where volunteer patrols do not exist.
The service operates every weekday and includes Christmas and New Year's Day. The service runs from December through to March for the busier patrol locations, and mid-December through to February for the majority of the others.
Surf Life Saving Northern Region seeks appropriately qualified and experienced Lifeguards to fill positions each season.
All Lifeguards applying to be must have a good level of fitness, have good surf lifesaving knowledge and experience, be able to work well within a team environment, be able to think and respond under pressure and be dedicated to fill the roster for this period (including Christmas and New Year's).
Applications for the 2020/2021 season have now closed.
Pre Requisites for Applying for the Paid Lifeguard Service
- Hold a Current SLSNZ Surf Lifeguard Award
- Current Financial Member of a SLSNR / SLSNZ club
- Minimum of Current First Aid Level 1
- 16+ Years of Age
- Swim 400m Under 7 min 30 sec
- Complete a 3km Run Under 20 min
- Hold a Minimum of a New Zealand Drivers License (Restricted) at the time of Submitting your Application
- IRB Crewperson
Other Awards that could be Beneficial to your Application
- Current First Aid Level 2
- Current Pre Hospital Emergency Care (PHEC)
- Registered Pain Relief Module
- Senior Lifeguard Award – IRB Operator
- Senior Lifeguard Award – Patrol Captain
- RWC Operator
- CIMS 2
- CIMS 4
*Please note. Due to the global pandemic and the restrictions at our border, Surf Life Saving Northern Region, Paid Lifeguard Service is not accepting applicants from outside of New Zealand.