What is the Rookie Lifeguard Award?
The Rookie Lifeguard Programme has been designed to help junior surf members prepare to be a Surf Lifeguard. The Rookie Lifeguard Programme aims to promote “practical lifeguarding” to the younger members and develop strong ties etween senior and junior members as a result of involvement.
The target audience for this programme is 13 year old junior surf members wishing to become a Surf Lifeguards next season.
|Be 13 years of age by the 1st October Be able to swim 200 meters in a pool in under 4:30mins Current member of a SLS club
|Variable depending on competence and instruction structure 2-8 weeks
|Rookie Lifeguard Coordinators
|Who should complete it
|Anyone interested in becoming a Surf Lifeguard in years to come
|Participate in four patrols (no less than 12 hours in total) Complete all Rookie Surf Lifeguard Log Book Modules
1. Health, Sun Smart and Conservation
2. Surf and Swimming skills
3. Role of a Surf Lifeguard and Patrolling
4. Signals, Flags and Radio operations
5. Rescue, Releases and Tube Rescue
6. First Aid and Emergency Care
7. Primary survey and CPR
8. Practical Surf Skills
9. Patrol Equipment and Clubhouse
10. Surf Life Saving Club Structure and Culture
At the completion of the qualification candidates will be able to:
1. Identify the role of a Surf Lifeguard
2. Demonstrate a range of Surf Lifeguard skills
This programme is a stepping stone toward achieving the SLSNZ Surf Lifeguard Award.
To begin training for this qualification contact your club.